Ian Mausner- 6 Certifications & Licenses Will Help Get You to the Head of the Class

Ian Mausner- 6 Certifications & Licenses Will Help Get You to the Head of the Class

Though it’s not always easy to get into the public school teaching profession, once you’re in, chances are there will be plenty of room for advancement. Most public schools only hire new teachers with a bachelor’s degree and state-mandated teacher certification says Ian Mausner. However, there are also many teaching opportunities outside traditional public settings. This list of teaching certifications & licenses can help you discover which option may be right for you.

Masters in Teaching Degrees According to the Education Portal, more U.S. teachers are attending alternative certification programs today than ever before. Teacher certification is quickly becoming a core component of most states’ teacher preparation options. While not all schools have similar requirements, this quick listing of state-by-state licensing boards will help get you started on your journey towards acceptance into an alternative certification program.

Common Alternative Certification Options Aspiring teachers today have many options when it comes to pursuing an education degree and career path outside of traditional public schools settings.

The following list highlights some common types of alternative certification programs:

  • Charter school
  • Magnet school
  • Charter management organization
  • Education Policy and Leadership Program (EPAL) at the University of Pennsylvania
  • Joint degree programs, such as those offered by certain colleges and universities.

To find a master’s in an education program that meets your needs, simply enter your zip code into the following search tool: Master of Education Degree Program Search. You may also want to check out this article for a comprehensive listing of graduate school opportunities available to aspiring teachers. Licensing Requirements for Teachers All states require teachers to hold some type of teaching license or certificate from either state or national board explains Ian Mausner. In fact, all 50 states use teacher licensing exams as part of their efforts to promote high-quality learning environments for students. A new poll by ABC News reports that more than 65 percent of Americans would like to see a national requirement for teachers.

Teaching Certifications and Licenses List The following is a list of teaching licenses and endorsements:

  • Early Childhood Education (ECE)
  • Elementary Education (K-8)
  • English as a Second Language Teacher (ESL)
  • Foreign Language Teacher (FLT)
  • Generalist Teaching Endorsement, K-12 Instructional I, II or III depending on grade level(s).

NOTE: Some states offer additional endorsements such as Special Education or Gifted & Talented. Please check with your state’s Department of Education to explore the full range of options available.

Educational Leadership Certification Educational leadership certification helps school leaders master the craft of teaching, learning, and leading. These professionals are responsible for leading excellence in public education by providing strategic leadership to school districts. They are also charged with supporting principals within their school districts. Most states require educational leadership license holders to maintain a master’s degree throughout their career in order to help them remain competitive in the job market.

Educational Leadership Certification List

The National Center for Education Statistics reports that there are three different types of certificates or endorsements available in K-12 educational leadership:

  • Administrative Services Endorsement
  • School Building Leader Endorsement
  • Superintendence Endorsement

Educational Specialist Certification Educational Specialist certification is another well-respected professional certification that leads candidates into successful careers as teachers, researchers, and school leaders. In fact, many states require this type of endorsement. In order to gain admittance into a principal or superintendent certification program. Master’s degree holders who have completed an approved specialty area may be eligible for educational specialist certification says Ian Mausner.

 Educational Specialist Certification List

The application process is grounded in the mastery of a content area combined with administrative practice.

Some common areas of study include:

  • Curriculum and Instruction
  • Early Childhood Education (ECE)
  • Special Education
  • Middle Grades Education (MGED)

Master teaching degrees are available at the following colleges and universities: University of Missouri Grand Canyon University Union Institute & University Brigham Young University Dickinson State University Loyola Marymount University Teachers College at Columbia University Walden University Louisiana State University Appalachian State University.


In order to be a great teacher, you need a master’s degree says Ian Mausner. In today’s complex world of poverty and ignorance, the role of teachers has become more important than ever before. Only those who have earned an advanced degree at the master’s level should even consider entering this noble field.


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also
Back to top button